Clavichord actions

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 13:55:28 -0500

How much key travel should there be after the tangent touches the
string?  Are there other important parameters in the set up of this "action?"

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas

Dave,
I confess that I don't really have the answer to your question, only some
speculation.
I *do* know that the term for the vibrato effect obtained by further
depression of the key is "bebung". The amount of bebung obtained should
emulate the "tasteful" vibrato of the human voice, or what would be common in
guitar or lute performance.
If there is enough key travel to change the pitch a whole bunch it's probably
too much.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com