Tuning pin heat in removal

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 12:47:50 -0500

In a message dated 95-11-01 20:22:31 EST, Keith A. McGavern, RPT writes:

>Bob, you posted:
>>>...shear the beckets...<<
>
>Since I am not a restringer, would you clarify the tool that does this job.
>
>And do I understand it correctly that this tool cuts the top winding of the
>tuning pin coil where the music wire enters the hole in the tuning pin?

Right you are. One source is Pacific Piano Supply, and it is called a coil
cutter. It's just a hardened steel rod with a hole drilled in one end to fit
over the pin, and you beat on the other end. There are two sizes.  After the
tension is down, we can shear the whole set in 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.

For those uncomfortable with the potential danger of spinning pins out of the
coils, it doesn't take too much longer to yank each wire off the pin with a
string hook (after shearing the beckets), cut the coils off the agraffe
strings, remove the strings, then spin out the pins.

Bob Davis, RPT