rebuilding Steinways

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 10:26:25 -0600 (CST)

   I received a question yesterday from a Steve Richardson from another list
which is entirely out of my area of expertise. I thought maybe there might
be someone here that would be interested in responding privately to him. Here
is part of what he posted:

 Anyway:  I was looking through the "Steinway" book by Chronical Books, and
was interested in the list of patents in the back.  Since this rebuilding
will replace the soundboard, ribs, bridge caps, bridge pins, pinblock,
strings, pins, action, key tops, key fronts, and re-wood keys (where/if
needed), I am confident in getting components which reflect positive changes
since the time the piano was originally manufactured, in these respects.

  However, since the plate and the bridge base (the vertical laminations under
the cap; I'm sure you know what I mean!) will be re-used, I was interested in
the patents after the date of manufacture which the book lists as affecting
the plate and the duplex scale.

  Taking these into account, and knowing that there is a large bit of
subjective judgement here, what would you consider to be essential plate/
duplex scale innovations to have, and to what years would this correspond?
(I'm currently looking at an 1899 piano, but I was thinking that I might
ask Mr. Reeder to look for something closer to 1930--for a B; probably
closer to the last few years of regular production for a C.)

  If you have any technical/objective or subjective insight into this
I'd really appreciate it!

Avery Todd
atodd@uh.edu

P.S. I'm not sure what he means by "rewood the keys". I've never heard that
     term before. Anyway, I'm sure he would appreciate any responses. I told
     him I was forwarding this message because I couldn't answer his questions.