Hammer Steaming

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 09:32:16 -0600 (CST)

To all,
   Sort of along this same line, because it swells/softens the hammer felt,
does anyone have much experience with the methanol/water method of voicing.
Especially if one is trying to tone down a complete set.
   I've used it a little on older pianos with very hard hammers and especially
in a practice room situation (small room) it really seems to help. I've
tried it a little for normal type voicing and my biggest objection is that
you have to wait about 30 min. to be sure what you have.
   But I'm also wondering about the long term effects of it.
Any comments appreciated.

Avery Todd
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu