Dead Bass Strings

DefTuner@aol.com DefTuner@aol.com
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 09:55:03 -0500

Beware of good intentions of cleaning people!!  I had a similar situation at
a recording studio.  I had noticed some odd substance with an oily appearance
on all the strings; little brownish spots.  For a while everything seemed
fine, but eventually the bass went very dead.  The only thing I could think
of was when they cleaned the studio they also sprayed some cleaner/wax stuff
on the piano to make it sound "pretty", I suppose. You know how much better
your car drives when it's clean!!  Before your major concert I suspect
someone decided the piano needed to look as good as it sounded.  Just a
theory, vandalism is always a possibility these days.

David Denison, RPT
Long Island, NY