Tuning pin heat in removal (Was RE: teflon)

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Wed, 01 Nov 1995 19:23:21 -0500

I agree with the quick-out method for keeping the heat down while removing
tuning pins. We've been doing it for twenty years without problems. We lower
the tension, mike the scale (you can't always trust a standard scale or even
a stamped-on one), shear the beckets, then zip the pins right out of the
coils. We then grab a handful of strings and lift them out. The piano can be
naked in no time.

Two caveats, though:
   1) You have to be sure the beckets ARE sheared, or you're in for a
surprise. However, if you watch the string as the pin starts to turn, it
moves funny if it isn't sheared, and there's time to stop, especially with an
air-powered tool.
   2) If the pin was bent as it was driven in originally, or if the wrench or
drill isn't in line with the pin, it can wobble suddenly and severely,
wallowing the top of the hole. For this reason, it's okay to have a somewhat
sloppy fit on the tip you use for removal - it actually helps minimize the
wobble. Although we replace blocks more often than not, our relatively benign
climate makes re-use of good-quality blocks an option in some cases, so it
pays to protect the holes.

The amount you turn the pins while letting down the tension has a big effect
upon how easy the beckets are to shear. Do the let-down in any sequence you
are comfortable with (alternate rows or whatever), but I think we limit it to
about a quarter-turn or a little less. Use a shearing tool that is the right
size - too small and it sticks on the pin; too large and it doesn't always do
a good job of shearing.

Almost any speed above about 300 RPM is sufficient to keep the pin cool
enough - it just needs to be fast enough so that the torque on the pin allows
you to pull upward as it spins (the pin comes out faster), and not so fast
that things get out of control

Bob Davis, RPT.