Dead Bass Strings

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Wed, 01 Nov 1995 12:08:31 -0700

>We all know that almost anything (pop,beer,oily stuff, silicones,etc) spilled
>or deliberatly applied on to bass strings will cause said strings to go dead.
>The question I have is, how long will it take for the string(s) to die.

Depending on the contaminant it could be immediately. Ever seen what a
"shooter" does to a set of strings when spilled on them?

>THE ENTIRE SET OF BASS STRINGS HAS GONE DEAD!

You have my sympathies, and I'm sure, many other's as well!

>Any thoughts? Sympathy?

The only similar experience I've had was in a piano bar with a Kawai KG-2C.
Even with a "splatter shield" to keep spilled drinks out of the piano,
people would STILL throw drinks into it! That piano went through four sets
of bass strings (and two sets of hammers) in one year before we sealed it up
totally, and by then it was too late as the pinblock, soundboard and even
the keybed and action was toast before the piano was two years old.  And
they originally wanted to put a STEINWAY in there!

I hope you find out what it was and who did it and are able to stick them
with the bill. It might be worth it to keep a spare set of D bass strings
around just in case it happens again...

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca