Tuning pin heat in removal (Was RE: teflon)

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Wed, 01 Nov 1995 10:50:03 -0700 (MST)

Mark Story responds to John Musselwhite:

>Yes, try it John.  You may discover what I did - that pins heat up less =
>if extracted at 500 RPM than if you take them out by hand.  It sounds =
>odd, but I guess it's because you get them out in one or two seconds =
>rather than twenty or thirty - less time to heat up and glaze the pin =
>hole.

I remove pins with a  high speed pneumatic wrench. The pin is actually cool
to the touch right after coming out of the block and then is too hot to hold
in a second or two. I think it was Brian DeTar who suggested to me that the
heat transfers from the surface of the pin to the center, keeping the
surface cool long enough to get the pin out of block.  Whatever the
explanation the block is left in great shape without any glaze.  I still like a
fresh block with 2/0 pins though.

Scott
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music,Murray State University
P.O. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071, Ph:  502-762-4396
Email:  sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu