Hammer steaming

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Fri, 26 May 1995 10:32:20 -0400

He loves the piano though (except for the brightness) and is concerned about
the quality of a rebuild. Because of the damage to the 'board it should
really be replaced but he's concerned it won't be a Steinway anymore unless
it goes back to the factory
hmmmm........
If we were talking about a Stradivarius Violin, then the argument that a
rebuilding of the instrument might make it no longer authentic is valad.
  However, in the case of a Steinway Piano, we are talking about a factory
produced instrument, produced by factory workers, (trained, of course, but I
doubt many are related to the Steinways) built to specifications of Steinway.
 If a worker in the factory builds Steinways all week, then goes home and
rebuilds a Steinway piano in his garage on the weekends using the exact same
procedures used in the factory, would one think that only the work done
inside the walls of the factory was authentic?  Poor quality parts and
workmanship would certainly cause a S&S to lose authenticity, but so long as
the best available parts, supplies and workmanship is used, preserving the
original specifications, we still have an authentic instrument.  (Maybe even
better then when new)  Anyway, that's my opinion.

Gordon Large
Black Fly Village, ME