Piano security -Reply

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.BYU.EDU
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 09:46:55 -0700

>>> Jeff Stickney <jpage@selway.umt.edu> 03/27/95 09:18am

     We have locks on our two Steinway concert grands, but over
the years  the number of people who have keys I believe may
outnumber those who  don't.  We would obviously like to have
multiple keys  available, but some control of
distribution/dupliction of those keys.   Any ideas on how you work
that would also be appreciated.  Thanks

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana jpage@selway.umt.edu

At BYU, we use J-hooks and padlocks on our concert
instruments.  The J's are made in the campus machine shop,
and the keys to the padlocks are controlled by the campus key
shop.  All the padlocks have the same key.  This system was in
place when I hired on 17 years ago.  Any abuses come from
faculty who would have a key to the concert instruments no
matter what the policy, so when I have concerns, they are taken
to the department council meeting and solved from the top down,
not the bottom up (I'm the bottom).
Jack
jack_reeves@byu.edu