"Profession and Image" e

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 25 Mar 1995 16:46:08 -0600

>>One comment that I get fairly frequently that really rubs me the wrong way is
>>(and there are equally obnoxious variations), "How can you stand to do that
>>tuning? It really sounds loud and boring!" To me the comment is a not so
>>polite way of calling me a klutz. Oh well, W. Braid White never promised us a
>>rose garden.

My all-time personal favorite comment while tuning: "My son/daughter has
perfect pitch and can always tell when the piano is out of tune." This
usually occurs right after I've begun a pitch change on one of those small
"horizontal spinet" baby grand pianos (5'0"or less) which hasn't been tuned
since Lincoln was shot. I try to stifle the urge to say "He/she has perfect
pitch? I'm so sorry!" or "Here's a quarter; call someone who cares!"

Cheers,

Tom Seay
The Unversity of Texas at Austin

t.seay@mail.utexas.edu

"Don't worry about your music too much - whatever you write will end up
being played
 on an old upright in a bar anyway!"  - Marvin Hamlish