duplicate mail

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 07:02:47 -0500

Paul Rabin rote:
<<Is it just me, or are others receiving duplicate (and triplicate) copies
of mail from this list?>>

No you're not going crazy. Read what I sent off to AOL, my commercial host:
<<Has anyone else had difficulty with AOL's handling of mailing lists. I can
provide a more detailed log, but essentially AOL is flipping back and forth
between bouncing my incoming email back to the xmitter and cramming my box
with duplicates. Other email has been getting through, and I don't know
whether other AOL names on this list are having the same problem. I don't
have alot of time to waste with this kind of balky service.

//<<Bill, has your address gone bad.  Everything pianotech sends
comes back as "illegal host or domain name found".
jack_reeves@byu.edu>>

Thanks for asking. In fact I was just about to write AOL about the
unreliability of their mail service. Up til 3/14, I had been steaming right
along with the full daily dose of 10-15 messages. Then on 3/15 I went into
radio silence. Nothing that day, on 3/16 a local returned "User Unknown". The
17th, I got my back log from Pianotech@ (39) but half of those were double
copies. On the 18th, 22 messages. and then back into radio silence again
(excepting a personal email on 3/21)until 3/22 when I got your message
("Test") as well as one Pianotech@ (Dennis Johnson's "Re:
Thermo/hygrometers").
Pianotech@ is valuable for me, so I appreciate your inquiry. Depending on
what I find out from AOL, my address may change. There has been a commercial
'net server start up in my local telephone exchange. If I go to it, I'll be
able to browse for lost messages (AOL does only email). But in the meantime
here is the list of messages I did receive from Piano tech@ between
3/15-3/22:
3/17/95 (38 messages-19 duplicates)
3/18/95 (22 messages-18 duplicates from 3/17)\\

Bill Ballard       "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time
S. VT                       and  annoys the pig."  Sign on the wall of a
                                    college voice teacher's studio.