Re Resources

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 22:18:33 -0500 (EST)

                 --- REPLY TO MY ORIGINAL POST ---

 Ken's Sloan's post on resources conservation reminded me of a
question I've had in recent years concerning soundboard installation.
I've never installed a board, so I don't really know how difficult it
is, but is it possible to remove the board in tact, remove the old
ribs,  restore crown with a new set of ribs, and then reinstall the
"new" board?  If so there's a lot of well-aged soundboard spruce out there.

Richard West
University of Nebraska

       --- MY REPLY TO REPLY --- (Phew, this is gettin' complicated)

I've never replaced a board myself, but I have worked on quite a few pianos that
have had new boards installed. These all, however, have used the old bridges
with no recapping done. The tone on these pianos, though quite musical, did not
have the attack clarity that I associate with a really fine instrument. It
prompted me to initiate a program at Oberlin (will start some time next
semester) that will allow us to recap bridges on many of our old Steinways that
appear to have good boards. I will gladly tell you what sort of tonal results we
get with these instruments.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

PS  One thing I have relearned in the getting ready stages for the bridge
capping is how enjoyable and useful sharp planes and chisels can be.