Kawai's University program

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Wed, 08 Mar 1995 08:29:08 -0600 (CST)

Bob,

We have had the Kawai lease program here at IWU for seven
years.  I've only been at IWU for five years, but *I* was the
Kawai dealer's technician before that.  The is how things
worked at first:  The pianos were delivered and then I went in
and prepped them.  The IWU technician did the routine tuning.
If anything came up technically, I went in and took care of it.
Since becoming IWU's technician, I just go ahead and prep the
pianos when they come in because the Kawai dealer's new
technicians either doesn't know how to prep them or doesn't
realise it needs to be done.  Voicing and seating strings are an
absolute must--they've been coming in sounding like they have
granite hammers--but that's easily controlled.  The pianos have
been relatively trouble free.  The only problems I've en-
countered have been a case of front pins that were not
driven down far enough (in an upright) and a couple grands
came in needing damper regulation.  The only down side is the
first few tunings (new pianos!) which is still much better
that trying to make old beaters sound good.  If you're
interested in my recipe for prepping Kawais includes, just
let me know.

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois