Due for a Rebuild?

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Wed, 08 Mar 1995 06:03:01 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Mar 1995 Yardbird47@aol.com wrote:

> Would the experience of this august body find it unusual that a '75 Steinway
> B would be ready for a restring with o'sized pins. No extentuating
> circumstances, although I did drive the pins 5 years ago. Is a restring after
> 20 years unheard of?

If only age were a true indicator of health!  I've seen some 20 year olds
that weren't very well off.

Having to restring after 20 years might seem odd, but pianos tell us what
they need rather than the other way around.  With the track record of that
pin block, tho, I'd really recommend a new one rather than over sized pins.

Dave Porritt, RPT
SMU - Dallas