RE Keyframes

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 07 Mar 1995 06:40:31 -0600

On Mon, 6 Mar 1995 PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU wrote:

>                       --- MY REPLY ---
>
> Shift lever not real problematic; had to shim a cross rail on the new frame.
> Worst problems due to fact that octave is wider with the Kluge keyboard; about
> 1/16" -- adds about 3/8" total width to the keyboard. Had to make a new treble
> cheek block to use with the new frame. Old Treble cheek block used with the old.
> Also, sharps are longer on the Kluge and the position of the fallboard had to be
> considered. This became more of a problem when I decided to mount the capstans
> on the keys of the new frame to have a ratio that favored less capstan travel
> per unit of key front travel (as compared to the old frame). I wanted the keys
> on the new frame to be closer to a 2:1 ratio. This forced me to mount the hammer
> farther out on the shank than recommended or to move the fallboard. Other quirks
> appeared as the project progressed. If you want to know more about it, come to
> the national in Albuquerque (spelled right!!). I'm teaching a class on the
> project and have it documented with slides. Cheers!

Dad-gum-it!  I'm beginning to resent having to miss this year's
convention!  (No choice in the matter, unfortunately.)  I wonder if/when
videos of classes such as this will be available.  I'd be happy to pay
the cost of the tape and tip the video engineer...

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette