de-oderizing a piano

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Mon, 06 Mar 1995 10:24:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi Chris,

>I wonder if anyone out there has a good method for de-oderizing a smelly
>old upright piano.  Apparently it was quite the hang-out for the in mice
>crowd.  Upon opening it up for the first time, I saw different colored
>threads strung all over the action like streamers at a party.  lots of
>confetti too!
>
>Is there a way to get the mice urine smell out of the keybed? It has soaked
>into the wood.

I have used a product that I bought from a wholesale drycleaning suppler
called EX-IT.  It is (or was, I haven't bought it for some time)
manufactured by the Big D Chemical Co., Oklahoma City, OK.  I used it to
treat the smoke smell in pianos that were in housefires, but it is also
supposed to be effective on other stuff (use your imagination, I just ate
breakfast).

I just rebushed a set of keys that were soaked in rodent urine, and they
were vile!  I would be cautious about working around mouse infested pianos,
since the urine and feces can carry the deadly Hanta virus, and who knows
what else.  I examined a small grand that was much as you described.  I
advised the new owner to burn it.  Besides being smelly, the urine is very
corrosive to metal parts.  There was some sort of "fur" growing off the
strings and keypins.  I was also conviced that all of the action centers
were ruined because of the corrosion of the center pins.  There was no way
the job would pencil out, and I didn't think the results would be
satisfactory either.

Mark
Mark Story, RPT

Eastern Washington University        |  mstory@ewu.edu