water damage

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat, 04 Mar 1995 09:22:13 -0600

On Fri, 3 Mar 1995 t.seay@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> Even after 10 years of use, the only long term structural damage we ever
> saw was a slight splitting of a few bridge pins on one of the grand pianos.
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      [I can't resist.  What?  Were they wooden bridge pins?]

> The soundboards, once the silt & fish were removed, were in almost pristine
> condition, as were the finishes - just kidding about the fish. All the
> major structural components of the piano seemed to survive intact, with
> mostly cosmetic damage.

I always _thought_ scales sounded better on imports!

> The Baldwin pianos, on the other hand, didn't fare quite as well. There was
> pretty much nothing left of them. They suffered massive structural
> problems, including delamination of pin blocks, bridges and ribs, as well
> as complete action destruction. There was no way to save them at all.

Don't let a testimonial get out on the market (or beyond this list, for
that matter!).  Yamaha would have a field day with it!

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette