water damage

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Fri, 03 Mar 1995 07:11:55 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 3 Mar 1995, Dennis Johnson wrote:

>         It is timely that this topic was just recently up because I have a
> another question. How long does it take the water to pose a longer-term,
> high risk potiential of serious problems such as to not merit other
> significant work (i.e. an action upgrade)? If the water, lots of water,
> gets into a piano but only for minutes, and is aired out right away should
> we still just let it retire gracefully?
>         I have just been given the go ahead to put a new action in one such
> worn out Yamaha in a major hotel downtown that unfortunately was sitting
> under a bad water pipe. The maintenance crew got on it immediately however,
> they tipped the piano up to drain out the water, and set up fans to dry it
> out. That was one year ago. Now it is completely dry and I have not seen
> any joints separating, but I obviously have mixed feelings about accepting
> this request for a complete action job. This piano is used 8 hours daily in
> a premiere restaurant and I have tuned it every month for 10 years. They
> will not buy a new piano as I recommended, at least for another several
> years. Anyone have some last minute advise on this one? They want me to
> start ASAP, so I must decide this week. Actually, I was recommending a new,
> better piano even before this water damage. Thanks.
>
> Dennis Johnson
> St. Olaf College
> johnsond@stolaf.edu

Several (at least 10) years ago I had a call in a similar situation.  The
piano was a Baldwin "L" about 1 year old.  The water was from a roof
defect.  The water was on the sounding board as well as the action.  I got
approval immediately to do something.  I had it in my shop, unstrung and
dry within 4 hours.  The Laquer on the sounding board protected it
completely.  I replaced the pinblock and action parts and the piano is
still very nice.

I tend to have more confidence in the construction of a Baldwin over a
Yamaha but you'll have to address the rebuildability of it.  I'd say that
if it were worth it before the water it's probably worth it after.

Dave Porritt, RPT
SMU