Colon leather

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 21:51:01 -0500

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995 Yardbird47@aol.com wrote:

> Ron, you might check with the local medical school or teaching hospital to
> see if they have any dscarded but hopefully non-cancerous parts. (Yuk!, did I
> say that?!@#$?)

After several days "running" in the tray in the piano, I think I have
managed to find a reasonable solution (if you care to see it, run a
search on pianotech at the listserv looking for the expression "cows").

Happy to report that the Bluethner in question is up and running, merrily
singing, etc., etc.  Monday morning I will be free and clear of this
beast....until the customer starts calling every other day with perceived
malfunctions.  (There's that rain cloud again!)

I have a new one for y'all, though.  I got a call from a fellow who's
doing some recording in his home studio on a rebuilt 1920s Steinway B.
His complaint was a rattling damper down around the lower tenor--just
above the break.  It sounded a lot like sloppy guiderail holes that had
crusted over, only there was fresh, new felt in there.  While poking
around in there, I discovered that the rattle was caused by an
excessively wide opening in the top of the underlever block--the place
where the damper wire goes in at the top.  I suspect that someone got a
little excited with a handdrill while reaming out the hole.  Anyhow,
since the guy was pressed for time and practically begging for a quick
solution that would tide him through the recording (talk about a
risk-taker!), I asked for an assortment of tape.  He brought Scotch,
teflon, masking, strapping and black production tapes.  (Amazing what
some folks can come up with, eh!)  I settled on the Scotch tape since its
goo is about the easiest to remove.  I wrapped it around the wire just
below the point where it enters the block, shoved the wire into the block
and tightened the screw.  Viola!  No more rattle.

Okay, keyboard technicians (a double, no?), short of replacing that
Royal Pain in the Patoot underlever system, how shall I go about making
an actual repair?  My temptation was to put a drop or two of white glue
there when he's away for a few days.  What say ye?

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois