Renner Parts

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 17:05:01 -0400

>Do you include friction into your statement of
>overall leverage as a function strike balance weight? If so, then this
>makes sense, if not, please explain how knuckle size directly relates to
>leverage on the shank.  Thanks again.
>Dennis Johnson

Dennis,

The calculation of the strike ratio is based on balance weight which factors
out friction.  I don't have enough data to make any comments about friction
with one knuckle or the other, or on leverage with small vs large. (Most of
my work is with the post 84 Hamburg parts.)  From a speculative standpoint I
would expect smaller knuckles to have less friction because the knuckle/jack
contact point is closer to the line between the wip and hammer flange
centers.  I would also expect a smaller knuckle to have lower leverage
because from a geometric standpoint the jack/knuckle contact is brought a
little closer to the hammer flange center with the smaller knuckle.

David Stanwood

"It all comes out in the wash"