Most important tuning technique

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 21:32:05 -0500

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, Allen Leigh wrote:

> What individual tuning technique do you consider the most important in
> doing "quality" tunings?

I don't consider myself an "old tuner," but good tuning hammer and pin
turning technique (they go together) combined with a healthy blow to "set"
the string are the makeup of a "quality" tuning for me.  Kind of a
simplistic answer, I suppose, but you need the basic stuff before you can
get fancy.  A good chef must first know how to work with flour and water
before moving onto salt, butter or other ingredients.  Same goes for tuners.

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois