*May* _Journal_ stuff...

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 22:20:55 -0500

<I wrote this a while ago and it sat in my outbox waiting to be sent.
Sorry if it's not timely!>

Subject: Squaring Agraffes

On P. 16 of the May '95 _Journal_, Steve Brady answers a question for Zen
Reinhardt who asked about straightening out askew agraffes.  Steve's
answer made me think a little about that procedure because he didn't
mention anything about removing strings before trying that operation.
Seems to me that the topmost portion of the agraffe is the most vulnerable
part--too much torque and you can shear it right off.  I've never
deigned to straighten an agraffe that had strings running through it
because, as straightening them is part of my restringing (or occasionally
repairing) protocol, I always thought it was safer to get whatever tool
you happen to be using to tighten the agraffe as close to the ledge of the
agraffe as possible (see below).
               _
              | |
              | |<----- String holes
       Ledge---> _| |_
      --------|_____|--------   <----Plate
             |   |
     Threads---> |   |
             |___|

Am I being over-cautious or is tightening an agraffe with contact in only
the top half (ie. above the string holes) of the agraffe hazardous
business?

Also, I use an adjustable crescent wrench (I think that's what they're
called!) rather than the "agraffe removing tool" because I've busted too
many of them -- or gnarled them beyond hope!  Actually, I also use a
vice-grips attached to the wrench for better leverage.

            ==================================
            ||  FROM HIGH ATOP THE SOAPBOX  ||
            ==================================

>From May's _Update_ suppliment....

I agree with the chapter comments that mention that "the perceivable
difference between RPT and Assoc. .... is approaching ZERO."  Bingo.  As a
matter of fact, the majority of the public would look at an Associate's card
(large print and all) and *still* equate membership with a high degree of
skill.  The PTG name alone does that.  Unless the Exec. Board plans to mount
a nation-wide media campaign to educate the general public, I think there's a
lot of wasted breath in the argument that the marketing tools provided by the
Home Office are supposed to combat ignorance among the public.  What is the
total membership of the PTG now?  What is the total number of *households*
(never mind people) that have a piano?  Huge disparity.

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois