Strike Ratio

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 14:55:43 -0400

>Sorry, I forgot to ask one other question for David Stanwood. Would
>you please explain to me (and anyone else) why you recommend weighing the
>Strike Weight with a felt wedge on the pan of the scale? I do not
>understand the value of this as I seem to get the same weight by just
>setting the hammer face down directly on the pan with the shank horizontal
>as described, and that is much quicker and easier. Thanks again.

>Dennis Johnson

Dennis,

In most cases laying the striking surface of the hammer face down on the
scale will give acceptable results.  But I hate working under assumptions.
and one cannot assume that this way will always give valid results,
especially if the hammers being measured are worn and flat.  I recommend
using the felt wedge in all cases to avoid any possible mismeasurement.

David