Key Ratio

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 13:35:36 -0500

        For those who are not out enjoying the sun (and for those who are,
but without laptops) I have a follow up question concerning key ratio. If
the key ratio is so underleveraged that the repositioned capstans will not
sit under the cushions, is there no good alternative to completely
redesigning the frame and moving the balance rail? I've got a 1970's S&S L
where the key ratio is .8mm underleveraged in the bass, .95mm in the tenor,
and .8mm in the treble, but I can only move the capstans .2 or .3mm safely.
On this particular piano the hammers were glued a good 5 1/8" out on the
shank.  If I moved the stack out 1/8" (.3mm), moved the capstans out .25mm,
and glued the hammers on at 5", that would gain me about .6mm. A lot of
hastle to still be .2+mm off. If I did that would my gain in key ratio be
offset by the loss in shank leverage? Any suggestions?

        D. Stanwood mentioned that he has even moved capstans in because
they were overleveraged. I'm wondering why you wouldn't leave this small
built in advantage alone. Do you think that overleveraged keys make a
noticable difference in key dip? I have one S&S D here with slightly
overleveraged keys but I've not found it to be a problem.  Thanks.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College