Humor, Ads, Etc.

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 09:53:32 -0500

At  2:19 PM 6/13/95 -0600, Larry Fisher wrote:
>Ah yes, the internet.  Nobody owns it, nobody controls it, everybody
>inputs, outputs, reads, deletes, and complains.
>
>I like the humor.  My life would be quite dull with out it.  Everyone can
>benifit from humor.  How ever the humor enters my life, I welcome it with
>open arms and plenty mail box space.  Keep it coming...........

__________

        Thanks Larry. At the risk of dragging this out further as many are
growing tried this non-technicial talk, let me just say that a certain
amount of this type of discussion is critical as together we evolve and
gradually establish this new technology. Opportunities such as this are
rare, and even a little fun.
        Considering that ultimately this is a free network, enforcing
"rules" is probably a vain effort anyway and besides, no one wants to be
censored, edited or otherwise inhibited. The delete option is always your
best safeguard. I also enjoy the humor, as much as anyone, and did not mean
to leave the impression that humor is necessarily inapporiate. My point
was, and I think others agree, is simply a reminder that if you are
responding or writing to a particular person with a message that even you
recognize as not really of interest to the group then consider sending that
message privately. This is only considerate and it is going on all the
time. Furthermore, this practice will naturally articulate in a more
positive light the meaningful messages that you will post. Not a "rule",
just a suggestion.

        If anyone still feels concerned about ads or other self-serving
promotion corrupting our unique and free dialogue, I say lets worry about
that if and when it ever happens.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College