Capstan wrench suggestion

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Sat, 10 Jun 1995 10:49:10 -0400

Which brings me to this request.  I have need of a capstan wrench that will
fit old-style Steinway capstans, the one with four sides.  I had one once but
lost it, and Steinway seems never to have heard of one.
Anyone out there with one for sale?
Fred

                             * * * * * * * * *
I've always made do with one of those universal type capstan wrenches.  You
can file two flat parallel sides where you hold it with your thumb and
forefinger and it may help keep the wide end from falling away from where you
want it.  I find it easier to control, especially towards the end of the job
when my hand may be starting to get tired.  Otherwise you could probably have
a machine shop modify a regular wrench for you.  Hope this helps.  BTW, while
we are on the subject of regulating capstans,...  I have never figured out
how to avoid dragging my knuckles (mine, not the hammershanks) over the tops
of the balance rail pins on certain pianos.  OH!, and how are you supposed to
adjust the capstans on those 1950's vintage Kimballs.  The kind that have the
keys that drop down at a 45 degree angle in the back?!!!

Gordon Large
Maine