teaching tech wannabe's

PianoBook@aol.com PianoBook@aol.com
Wed, 07 Jun 1995 23:42:23 -0400

>I was asked today to consider teaching a piano tech program at one >of the
local colleges where I work. I'd like to know if anyone here in >our group
teaches or has taught such a course, and if so, what >would be a reasonable
amount of material to cover in one month.  A >while back there was a fair
amount of discussion about texts used >in such a class.  I'll be checking
those too.

Excuse the advertising (sort of), but over the years many technicians have
found The Piano Book to be useful as a text in classes and workshops for
non-techncians.  It's at about the right technical level for semi-serious use
and, since realistically these people are not learning to tune, the book has
the kind of practical consumer information that will benefit them in the real
world.

Two other resources I would recommend are "The Wonders of the Piano" by
Catherine Bielefeldt, which is especially interesting for its photos and
descriptions of the manufacturing process, and the John Serkin video "The
Anatomy of a Piano: How Your Grand Piano Works", which goes into the subject
in quite a bit of depth (if a bit long).  I sell both of these, as well as my
own book, through Brookside Press.  I believe Pianotek also sells them.

I recall that someone in the College & University Tech Forum (perhaps Ken
Sloane?) has been collecting syllabi for such courses.

Larry Fine