cracking up?

phillip c sloffer psloffer@indiana.edu
Wed, 07 Jun 1995 18:04:38 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995 Djrue@aol.com wrote:

> I am hoping for some advise on a recent problem. A client has an older
> upright in basically playable condition except for the tuning. The plate has
> a crack near the treble break that starts at a tuning pin & terminates at a
> plate bolt below the pressure bar. The whole piano is about 50cents low & is
> even lower in the treble above the crack. Should I attempt to tune this
> piano? What are the possible consequences?  Is there any sort of relatively
> cheap fix? The client has little money & cannot afford to replace the piano
> at this time.
> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
> Dan Rue, RPT
> Anacortes, Wa.

Hi All
I think it is curtains for this piano.  However if the owner insists
then I make it clear that I will go through the motions of tuning and charge
accordingly and they will pay regardless of the results.  I try to
discourage people from spending any money on the thang and that maybe they
should haul it back to the woods and roll it off a cliff or perhaps chop
it up for fire wood.

One thing I say (if I have not gone to far to get there) is that I would
rather leave without being paid than work on the piano.  So the custermer
has a choice between paying little or nothing and paying a lot and
getting nothing in return.

To me it is very relaxing to work on a peice of junk now and then after
spending hours and hours trying to get the best out of a 9' for a
performance.

Later,
-Phil

+  Phil Sloffer         +