teaching tech wannabe's

Paul Kupelian kupelian@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Wed, 07 Jun 1995 13:52:33 -0400 (EDT)

Gordon,
I do not do any teaching except for an occasional class for music
appreciation.  However, I think it useful to talk about the different
materials that go into making a piano, with samples to pass around.

Also, I find the use of action models very useful.  In a large group
instruction setting, I have had someone run a camera to an overhead
projection screen showing closeups of the various parts.  I have also
passed around different action parts to the class.  I think they have a
better appreciation for the piano if they can see and feel the different
parts we take for granted.  Remember, a lot of people don't even know
what the inside of a piano looks like, let a lone a whippen, (especially
an assault whippen (:>).

Also remember a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach. You may be able
to generate some apprentices that you could work with and train as part
of a work study program.

Good luck,
Paul
kupelian@oswego.edu