Pedal Problem

JHarvey440@aol.com JHarvey440@aol.com
Sat, 03 Jun 1995 06:01:26 -0400

>This idea came from Jim Harvey and works very well.

Thanks Ron, but although I've used this method quite effectively, I don't
recall having mentioned it to the masses; i.e., in a class environment. What
I have endorsed was a simple pedal pin inserter/extractor, when faced with
the problem of removing a pin, then re-installing the repaired pedal through
the pedal rail. (Even  -that- idea is stolen -- I just spread the tip around
faster than the guy I stole it from!

To keep from wasting eveyone's time, I'll mention a repair I picked up from
Fred Odenheimer. It may prove relative.

In this case, the goal was that of maintaining the integrity of the original
pedals when duplicates could not be found. Cost was not the object, rather
the lack of availability. Also, the pin was the least of the problems -- the
pedal was broken in half!

To effect a repair, he used <argh - senility attack> some "slime in a can" --
since I can't remember the name.  It's widely available at automotive shops,
not to mention my local piano parts supplier: Wal-Mart. This 'goo' is used to
repair holes and fissures in cast-iron (hint-hint) engine blocks. Even butt
joining the two pieces, as structurally unsound as it sounds, the last I
heard, the repair was still holding -- and this was the -damper- pedal!

Ah! Lucidity finally kicked in again. This material is called "J.B. Weld".

Regards,
Jim Harvey of
Greenwood -- the largest city in SC WITHOUT an interstate