Relocating capstans

Scott Thile SETHILE@MSUMUSIK.MURSUKY.EDU
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 16:16:43 -0600 (CST)

 Tom Saye writes:

>Our school has a Steinway B from the 1980's  which has terrible
>downweight/upweight problems. The keys in the bass are full of leads, and
>we are still getting downweight between 65-70 grams in that section with
>barely any upweight at all, improving to 60 grams in the treble with
>marginal upweight.

Tom, are you sure you don't have a friction problem as well as a capstan
position problem?

I would at least check for excesive friction if you haven't already.

Scott E. Thile, Piano/Instrument Tech Phone: (502)762-4396
MSU (Murray State University)         Home : (502)753-9912
Email sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu