Caster cups

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 11:20:30 -0600

>To use caster cups on a carpeted surface or not, that is the question.

I reccomend them any time a piano won't be moved around. On some carpets the
casters will cause permanent damage to the nap. The same goes with hardwood
floors in most cases unless the casters are rubber.

>In summary: In what situations should one use caster cups and when is it not
>necessary?

If there is a possibility that hardwood floors or carpets will be damaged by
the casters, use them. In some situations (like a recording studio I tune
in) caster cups are necessary because the piano resonates with the floor. In
this case, caster cups helped but the problem wasn't solved until I sat the
casters on hard rubber hockey pucks. All the recording pianos I tune now sit
on hockey pucks.

As for when they aren't necessary, if the piano is going to be moved all the
time don't bother. If it's static (or you want to MAKE it static) put cups
under the casters.

Wasn't there a journal article about this in the last few years?

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca