Building a Businesss/getting experience,

Swwpiano@aol.com Swwpiano@aol.com
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 13:26:02 -0400

First let me apologize for inadvertently posting to this list what was
intended to be a private post to a fellow beginner and make it clear that I
was _not_ speaking as an authority on the subject. But now that the issue has
come up, let me rephrase this as a question to you all as I may be confused
on the subject, or may only have described the technique in a confusing way
by not numbering the notes correctly.

I understood that to tune A440 to the fork, you play the tenth A4 on the
piano (aka A49, aka A440) down to F33 , and compare the beat rates to the
tenth between the fork at A440 and F33 on the piano. Tune A49  on the piano
to make the beat rates of the  two tenths equal. Is this a valid test? one
response suggested I use F2 (aka F25?) instead - does this mean just adding
an octave to both test intervals? if so, is this just to make it easier to
hear? I don't see how the result would be any different as I'm still
comparing identical intervals... Thanks in advance for the clarification.