Re bass strings

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:03:14 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  9:03 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re bass strings                       Date:  8/25/95

------------------ORIGINAL POST------------------

I recently took over the tuning job for a small college. The last guy who had
the job had stocked up on spare sets of bass strings for several of the
pianos and stored them hanging on a rack in the storage room. They may have
been there as long as ten years I do not know but they are quite tarnished.
When I went to use one i found it to be as dull and tubby sounding as they
get. Trying others I found all I tried to be this way. Can Bass strings go
bad or "die" just by sitting around unused? Can They be revived ? Has anyone
else had this experience?

There was a lengthy exchange on this topic about three or four months ago. I
suggest you consult the pianotech archives to get some info.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory