Aftertouch

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 01:04:08 -0400

By the way, when I was at the Steinway factory training in June under the
guidance of Scott Jones, I shimmed up my dip block to .042, (if my memory
serves me correctly), the new recommended speck for NY pianos.  He said that
they've found, (as others on pianotech have commented,) that the players
don't notice the difference or complain a'tall.  Of course the Hamburg speck
remains .040, (another memory disclaimor -- who looks up the numbers
regularly anyway?  just get it to function, rarely even pull the block out, )
and I find it interesting that this corresponds to the differences elaborated
on by David Stanwood regarding lower leverage and higher leverage shank/
knuckle dimensions.  Parallel evolution.

Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle