Loud Blow, Soft Blow

TUNERJIM@aol.com TUNERJIM@aol.com
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 02:48:50 -0400

perhaps the following observation is appropriate to this discussion, perhaps
not.
Several years ago I was amazed by ultra high speed photography of a hammer
striking
a bass string.  Two astounding revelations: (1) the hammer shank whips just
like a
good fly casting rod; (2) after hitting the bass string the hammer starts its
return
journey but the hammer itself is struck several times (three,  I recall) by
the vibrating
string before the hammer's return travel places it out of reach of the bass
strings's excursion.  At the time I concluded, and I have seen or read
nothing since to change
this conclusion, that part of the energy imparted to the string was given
back to the
hammer by these return taps, thus weakening the tone, shortening the tone's
duration,
and altering the relative strengths of the harmonics.

Jim DeRocher, RTT