Tinned vs. Polished

Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Fri, 18 Aug 1995 12:10:34 -0400 (EDT)

Paul,

I used the tinned wire in a few pianos which lived ridiculously close to the
Pacific Ocean in San Diego / La Jolla.  I didn't notice any tonal difference
between it and the regular Roslau polished wire.

It doesn't look as nice because the tinning is not perfectly even in color -
it's a little splotchy.  The polished wire is more shiny.

Some technicians complain that the tinning can scrape off at the capo bar and
aggraffes and cause buzzes, but I never experienced that.

The tinning delays the inevitable rust caused by those daily salt air fogs
experienced by pianos living on the surf. It doesn't _stop_ the rust, though.

Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com