Plate in and out

John Foy maxwell@nr.infi.net
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 21:33:39 +0800

>After years of removing and installing grand plates by standing the piano on
>its side and tipping the plate out I've decided that me and my back are too
>old for such foolishness and I purchased a good chain hoist, lifting straps
>etc. Now, can anyone tell me the secret for hooking the damn thing up so that
>the plate will raise in a suitably flat plane,e.i., not tilted one way or the
>other or too low in the back?
>
>Paul Dempsey
>Marshall University
>wippen@aol.com

Paul,
One more suggestion: use only one long moving strap and starting with the
non-buckle end, weave it down between the bass agraffes and the bass strut,
over to the V-bar, come up between the pinblock and the V-bar, up through
your hoist hook, down to one of those convenient round holes in the plate,
then under the plate and back up through the most rearest (sic) (most
distal?) hole, then up, completing the journey home through the hoist hook
and buckle to the other end.  So... you have a three point system with only
two of the"branches" going through the hoist hook.  This system is somewhat
self-leveling and easy to adjust either by changing the relative tension in
each branch, or by slipping the hook slightly forward (proximal) or
backward (distal).  If I've lost you with these wonderfully clear
instructions, write me personally and I'll fax you a diagram.
Also, you might consider getting some aluminum flashing 8-10" wide
(available at reputable hardware stores) to run around the inside of the
rim when lifting/dropping plates and installing/destalling plate bolts.
Protects the finish and lowers the blood pressure.  Have fun!

John Foy, RPT
maxwell@nr.infi.net
Winston-Salem, NC