Re Plate in and out

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:18:17 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  1:07 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Plate in and out                   Date:  8/17/95

-----------------ORIGINAL POSTING----------------

Hello all,

After years of removing and installing grand plates by standing the piano on
its side and tipping the plate out I've decided that me and my back are too
old for such foolishness and I purchased a good chain hoist, lifting straps
etc. Now, can anyone tell me the secret for hooking the damn thing up so that
the plate will raise in a suitably flat plane,e.i., not tilted one way or the
other or too low in the back?

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com

Attach three fixtures to the plate in a tripod type arrangement that will
attach to the hook of your hoist and are easily adjustable for length. Some
things you might want to try are seatbelts, motorcycle tie downs (similar to
seat belts), nylon rope with appropriate knots used for easy length
adjustment, etc. After a few plates you will have a sense as to where to
attach the ropes/belts and where the center of gravity is. Have fun

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory