RE Leverage

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 09:21:52 -0400

Ken wrote:

>And to reply to a comment David Stanwood made to your question. In regard to
>the theoretical, straight-line relationship between the wip action center,
>capstan/wip contact point, and the key fulcrum. I thought David posted some
>conclusions recently about changing the key ratio on a piano. If my memory
>serves me correctly, the conclusions indicated that as the ratio was taken
>closer to 2:1 (at least with this piano), the "straight-line" relationship
>improved, causing a reduction in friction along with the increase in
>leverage.

Ken,

When I speak of changing key/wip ratios by moving the capstan line, I always
assume that the straight line rule is adhered too.  In otherwords, if the
capstan line is moved in towards the balance rail (to increase leverage and
reduce strike weight ratio) the heel thickness (height) will have to be
increased in order to maintain adherence to the straight line rule.

David C. Stanwood