moving and shaking

Sat, 12 Aug 1995 07:34:23 -0500 (CDT)

>      Conrad Hoffsomer writes, 'Tis folly to export pianos to Cuba

Didn't actually say 'twas folly, just relating my experiences by
the shores of the Caribbean.

> Hey wait a minute - isn't that why they need more?
>      It would be great to hear his tale of sneaking around the U.S.
> base at Guantanamo tuning pianos when he was supposed to be
> making an honest living.

Wasn't sneaking too much since I did the Officer's and NCO clubs as
well as the school pianos. I was only working rotating shift 8-12hrs/day
7 days a week at the powerplant, the rest of the time was my own!

Actually wouldn't mind going back, but I'm not too close to Norfolk
or Charleston to catch the military flights.

  Any suggestions about keeping those
> pianos dry (string covers? dampchasers?) and  free of termites?

Dampp-Chasers are the first line of defense. I saw some pianos set on
pie tins which had gotten a liberal coating of insecticide, but I
can't say how effective that was.

>      Also, still crave the phone # of Keyboard Carriage, Kentucky.

Jim DeRocher has the number for you in another post.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT     | Ya win some, ya lose some,
Luther College             | Some is tied, and some is definitely