pinning techniques

Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 12:55:26 -0400 (EDT)

Greg Newell wrote:

>>I employ a very simmilar technique to Don Mannino's article of recent. What I
would like to know is if you fellows consider it to be acceptable to size the
bushing with a 1 size over pin loaded into a dremel. The size pin used could
change of course depending on the desired result. It seems to me a much more
expedient way of accomplishing the same task without all that tedious hand
reaming. Any thoughts?<<

Don Mannino's reply:

The dremel tool can work well as a burnisher for poor quality cloth, but there
are risks:

1. Control the speed. I had a nasty experience burnishing upright flanges with a
dremel tool and center pin. I was cooking things a little to much, and the pin
got hot after about 5 or 6 flanges. It went floppy on me, bent over at a right
angle, and flung the flange at a high rate of speed right at my forehead. I had
a nasty divot taken from my head, and I've never been the same since. I never
used a dremel for burnishing flange bushings again either!
        Using a speed control with the Dremel tool will prevent this, but be
careful.  Since I gave up this technique, I never worked out what speed might be
acceptable.

2. The process of burnishing heats up and drys out the cloth, while it also
irons the fibers. The drawback is that the cloth will be unnaturally dry, and
will take on moisture, tightening the fit later.
        There are too many other variable to hassle with already, so I avoid
using methods that introduce another one like this.

The dremel technique does a good job of firming up bushings, and it will help
fit things if things were fairly close already. Since it doesn't remove felt, it
will lead to tightening up of the center if you try to enlarge the bushing more
than .001 (1/2 pin size).

Schaff and APSCO both sell sized broaches as I descibe in my class. APSCO's are
a bit aggressive in their cutting action for me - Schaff's are just slightly
rough, like maybe 220 grit sand paper, which is nicer because it doesn't chew up
the cloth so much.

Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com