Support your PTG Journal

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Tue, 08 Aug 1995 19:00:22 -0400 (EDT)

I've noticed several messages recently about the discussion on this list tending
to be theoretical, about the desire for basic or practical questions to be
addressed in an advanced way, and about what part PTG could play in providing
the best forum to suit everyone's tastes. In response, I'd like to encourage
everyone to remember the PTG Journal and what it has to offer. It cannot provide
the instant response to questions of an electronic forum, but it does have many
advantages and deserves our support.

One can contribute in many ways, from a question to the Q&A section, to a quick
tip for the Tools, Tips, & Techniques department, to a feature article. The
Journal provides attractive print, illustrations, and editing, enhancing the
value of the content over quick & dirty text-only e-mail. The vast majority of
members are not on-line, so the Journal benefits the entire membership and also
provides potential feedback from a much larger audience. We all like to read the
Journal, and it's now better than ever thanks to Steve Brady. But it remains a
volunteer effort. No contributions, no content.

I can understand the desire of newer technicians to want instant answers to
questions, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, while you're waiting
for that specific answer, please don't forget to continually study the many
written resources available. PTG provides tremendous written resources to
technicians at all levels, including Journal reprint kits, specialized books, as
well as Journal back issues available from fellow members. This is a vast field,
an can never be learned only on an as-needed basis.

Bill Spurlock