listserv schism?

Tue, 08 Aug 1995 07:47:05 -0500 (CDT)

John Wehlitz wrote... and I snipped a lot...

> I've been surprised to read that people are concerned about the volume on
> the list, since I think of it as a very low volume list. Another list that I
> subscribe to has almost 800 subscribers and usually generates over 100
> messages a day. No, I don't read them all. We definitely need to find out if
> BYU is concerned before we get concerned.
>
> I appreciate Phillip wanting to welcome beginners like me to the list
>
> I'm sure that many listmembers would prefer to have beginners unsubscribe.
> We can, after all, access the archive through the Piano Page, and there is
> always the rec.music.makers.piano newsgroup. I'm considering doing so, but
> wonder what the general attitude of the listmembers is.

I think I am on that same list, and I have gotten so fast on the delete
that it scares me, I've gone to digest mode on other lists and that way
I can do megadeletes, but I need to see truly descriptive subject lines.

I also welcome newbies, but even 20+ years into this business I need an
occasional booster shot of "beginneritis". Esoteric discussions are interesting
and occasionally really useful in real life, but I find that when I teach
a new bunch of students, I learn as much as they do. Senility and myopia
set in and are quickly dispatched by the students questions.

As you might guess by now, I'd vote to retain the current single list format.
I can't access those newsgroups, and I can only access the Web in text mode
from home, so I would miss a lot of discussion which might interest me.

There, I said it! So flame me ;-}

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT     | If it won't work, hit it with a hammer;
Luther College             | If it still won't work, use a bigger hammer;