splitting our list

William E. Darst darst@humanitas.ucsb.edu
Mon, 07 Aug 1995 10:10:00 -0700

>I hope these remarks haven't stepped on any toes, and I'm not implying
>anything about anybody.  I'm just experessing my feelings that this
>list isn't friendly to novices.  And, that's ok as long asf we
>newcomers can have one that is friendly.
>
>Anyway, my 2 cents.....
>
>/Allen Leigh
>a-leigh@risky.wcslc.edu

Can't we address this problem another way?  First, I don't believe that
when we are posting to any list we can be 100% comfortable.  Part of
engaging in any discussion is a matter of stepping out and putting yourself
on the line.  Comfort isn't everything.  That having been said, it is
equally important that a friendly and supportive environment be maintained.
Generally, I feel that a very high degree of decorum has been the rule on
this list - especially in comparison to the outright flames that I have
encountered on other ones.  Whenever you are new anyplace there is going to
be a bit of discomfort until you know some people.  Whenever I start
feeling uncomfortable or annoyed, I try to ask myself whether this is
really coming from the poster or from some insecurity within myself. . . .
and then, how can I address it?  It is not necessarily a threat, it may be
an opportunity.

Sometimes, making an introduction is helpful - letting others know that one
is a novice, or moving into a new kind of challenge signals others to
reflect on their own vulnerability at that point in their careers and gives
them the opportunity to offer psychological support, as well as tech info.
Let me say here that I have only been doing University work for the past 6
years or so, and I remember how I felt starting out.  By comparison to some
on this list I still feel like a novice in that regard.  I should mention
too, that when I was starting this job I received a lot of good advice and
tech info from people like Ken Sloane, Bill Spurlock and various others.

I think that if the list is divided that both lists will be less valuable.
In addition, I think it is beneficial to encourage non-PTG technicians to
join the discussion, the possibility being that many of these people will
consider the benefits of Guild membership somewhere along the line.

I havn't met many of you in person but over time I have developed an
appreciation for the knowledge and the candor expressed by many of the
people posting here.  I hope that this list isn't divided and that we can
by reflection on our words raise the comfort zone a little for the new
person.

Bill Darst
Music Dept
UC Santa Barbara