Wire Preferences

Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Thu, 03 Aug 1995 13:59:13 -0400 (EDT)

     Dan Squire wrote:

     >>Interesting, flexibility is defined as the elongation due to a unit
     load.  Flexibility is the inverse of stiffness.  By definition, this
     means that the flexibility is inversely proportional to the modulus of
     elasticity.  Therefore, according to your statement, these different
     brands of wire have different values for their modulus of elasticity.
        I must assume that you got this information from a reliable
     source.  Would you please share that source.  What are the respective
     values for the modulus of elasticity for these different wire
     brands?<<

     Well, I'm impressed. ;->

     Reliable source: I have strung with all of the mentioned wires, and
     the wear on my fingers and muscles are quite reliable, although not
     scientifically documented. Is it necessary to know the modulus of
     elasticity numbers, or may I relate direct experience?

     Reliable source: Accutuner analysis of inharmonicity of different
     wires is quite easy. Sorry, but I didn't save my results of 5 years
     ago or so when I compared the different wires. These are easily
     repeated by anyone with wire, a piano and an SAT.  Feel free to
     publish your findings.

     I'm not sure that elasticity is the property I was describing, nor
     does elongation under a load seem to apply to the stiffness of wire -
     although I don't doubt that it is related. Bending stiffness is the
     property I notice in stringing, whereas tensile strength and
     elasticity are more important to the engineer and scale designer.

     According to Frank Schaff of Mapes and the engineers in Korea whom I
     deal with, bending stiffness and elasticity are somewhat independent.
     The nice thing about the wires that I call softer or more flexible
     (from Roslau and Mapes) is that their breaking strength remain as high
     as the "stiffer" wires, while there is more flexibility and lower
     bending resistance.

     Tell me, do you think it's necessary to have scientific data for
     different music wires in order to make a decision as to which one to
     use when stringing a piano?  If you have strung many pianos then you
     are aware of the differences between wires - and this kind of
     experience seemed to be what Jeff Stickney was seeking, not an
     analysis of the modulous of elasticity for the different wires.

     It was nice to see that others on the list also thought Dan's message
     was a bit unnecessary.