Wire preferences

Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Wed, 02 Aug 1995 18:22:54 -0400 (EDT)

     Jeff Stickney, RPT University of Montana jpage@selway.umt.edu wrote
     regarding the string scale on a Lyon & Healy grand, and the use of
     wires.

     I can't help with the string scale - sounds like a candidate for a
     quick re-scaling.

     As for the wire, Pacific still sells it (818-779-1586), as does Renner
     USA (203-221-7500). Maybe others on this list know of other sources
     for Roslau wire.

     I also like the Mapes Gold Standard wire, which has similar qualities
     (easy to work with, more flexible, very consistently made, nicely
     polished, sweet tone) and a similarly high price.

     It's not really a problem to mix wires within a piano, although I
     wouldn't mix them within a unison when restringing. The only drawback
     will be the appearance - it's unavoidable that different wire stock
     will look different. so you get bands of shiny strings mixed with
     bands of duller strings.

     If you use dramatically different strings then there would be a change
     in inharmonicity and tone from one wire type to another. For instance,
     Suzuki wire from Japan is extremely stiff wire, and sounds different
     from the softer, more flexible types from Mapes and Roslau. Schaff's
     wire is on the hard side of center, and also doesn't mix well with the
     more flexible wires.

     So to really do the nicest job, use all one type of wire in a piano.

     Don_Mannino@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com