bent plate dilemma

J. Kehe fortep@mcs.net
Tue, 01 Aug 1995 17:41 -0500 (CDT)

     Recently while relocating our piano shop, a plate to a Baldwin E (Louis
style) was dropped by the movers causing the bassbar/crossbar to crack at
the junction where it passes through the nosebolt.  We subsequently had the
crack (which ran on both sides of the nosebolt hole) repaired via
metalstitch.  However, upon re-installing the plate, it became apparent that
the tail of the plate was bent upward such that the last 2 plate bosses are
off the dowels by 1/2" to 3/4".  Everywhere else the plate makes good
contact.  Obviously the bearing in the mid to low tenor is a joke.  That
however is NOT my #1 concern as bridge recapping to the "new plate
configuration" along with installing new dowel supports could make up for
that shortcoming.  My real concern here is "What are the ramifications when
re-stringing a repaired plate that already has a head-start on its way to
imploding?"
     Am I over-reacting?  What do you see as options given that this is a
customer's piano and a Louis style case?  Thanks in advance for words of
experience anyone might care to offer.
J. Kehe, piano craftsman
Chicago, Illinois