PTG chapter organization

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 17:56:42 -0600

On Mon, 31 Oct 1994 Rick.Florence@asu.edu wrote:

> To all PTG members who have at some time been elected, railroaded, bribed,
> coerced or blackmailed into serving in local chapter leadership positions.
>
> I have recently looked into our chapter finances and was shocked at how
> much money is beening sucked up every year ($600) to enjoy(?) whatever
> priviledges that come with beeing a for-profit corporation. I understand
> that this corporation was instituted out of a threatened law suit years ago
> from a local tuner.  The feeling was that there would be some sort of
> protection under a coporation.

      Rick: If your are concerned about the legalities involved, perhaps
you should contact a LAWYER...just as we all recommend a TECHNICIAN to
those asking specific questions concerning pianos. : ) Although a
university employee, I still do some private work and consequently still
have the liability insurance offered as a group policy through the PTG.
It offers $1,000,000 liability, as well as other options including tools,
pianos while in your shop and while being moved, etc.

> I don't feel that this corporate protection really exists any more. In
> talking with Mary at the home office I found that very few chapters are
> incorporated.  She sent me some papers regarding setting up a non-profit
> status but couldn't give me any information of how most chapters are set
> up.
>
> Before I take on the position of the new kid who wants change, I would like
> to know how other chapters set up.
>
>         Are you incorporated?
>         Are you a non-profit organization?
>         Are you paying professional service fees to file papers and tax returns?
>         If non of the above, how do you handle finances (taxes etc.)?
>         What are your chapter's feelings about the risks of law suits, and how
>         do you deal with it?

      I suppose we could, through some twist of fate, all end up liable
for all kinds of scary things, but we've managed to avoid any SERIOUS
legal hassles thus far. (To my knowledge) Of the several chapters I have
personally been a member in, none allowed monies to be spend without some
sort of chapter approval/vote. A yearly statement of chapter
income/expense report is also advisable.

> I would appreciate any input/advice. > > ---- > Rick Florence, Piano Technician
>  Arizona State University School of Music
>  Internet: Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
>  Phone (602)965-6760
>  Fax (602)965-2659

       "IT'S NICE TO BE NICE TO THE NICE" MAJOR FRANK BURNS*4077TH MASH
                   jminor@uiuc.edu//university of illinois